Monday, October 25, 2010

New ventures, new blog!

Like I needed something else to take up my time, because my last class of nursing school, training for my first half marathon in less than 3 weeks, planning my wedding, cooking up fabulous treats in the kitchen, my 4 (yes 4) pets, spending QT with my fiance, and keeping up with family & friends doesn't take up ENOUGH of my life as it is! I just have the need to write!

Anyways! I was so proud, I made my first loafs of bread last night! After finding this amazing stew recipes on one of my favorite blogs (www.ohsheglows.com) for Blanket Stew, I had to learn to make bread to go with it! I made a white loaf to start...
White Bread

1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter
1.5 cups water (105 degrees F)
2 packages yeast
5 cups bread flour (divided)
EVOO

Combine milk, sugar, salt, & butter in small pan and warm on stove till dissolved. In a bowl, mix water & yeast, making sure to not go above 105 degrees F so you don't kill the yeast. In stand mixer with dough hook, mix 4 1/2 cups bread flour with wet ingredients on 2nd setting for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of bread flour to mixture until you see the bowl clean and the dough is climbing the hook. Knead for 2 more minutes on hook at speed 2. Put dough in oiled bowl and cover with damp towel and let rise 1 hour (or until doubled). I put mine in the oven (with the oven turned off) so that a draft wouldn't hit it. After 1 hour/doubled, punch down the dough and split into two pieces. Roll out each into rectangle and roll up each tightly, folding over edges, then pinching all seams and placing each in their own loaf (makes 2 loafs, so need 2 loaf pans!). Place back in OFF oven with damp towel over the loaf pans and let rise for 1 hour. Remove loafs after 1 hour and pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and bake 30 minutes. Best when eaten warm! Bread can be frozen for up to 3 months! I double bag everything if I freeze food just to make sure it doesn't get damaged from freezer burn.

Forgot to mention that we had just driven back from Charlotte, NC after being there all weekend for my cousin's wedding. My cousin Katy posted this on my FB :

Please don't tell me you baked both loaves tonight?! You were home like what, 3 hours and then had bread make? You're unstoppable

Yes, I'm a little cooking crazy right now, just wait and see what else I come up with :)

Ok, enough for tonight, must get a little shut-eye so I stay awake for class then work until 11 tomorrow!

PS, can't wait for this weekend in OBX for some wedding planning, catering & flower appointments, and seeing the house where the wedding & reception will be! 194 days until I'm a married woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment