Thursday, December 16, 2010

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!


Guess what?! It snowed! I even got out of NCLEX review early today so I could spend my day cooking and relaxing :) By the time they let us out, it had already snowed about 2 inches, so I made a quick stop at Kroger, then came home to get going!
First off... 3 Bean Mole Chili!
OH YUM! A girl I go to school with had some of her left-overs the other day and I couldn't help but notice how good it smelled! She shared her recipe with me graciously and I thought it would be a wonderful cold weather treat :)

3 Bean Mole Chili

1 15 oz can chili beans (with sauce)
1 15 oz can pinto beans (rinse and drain)
1 15 oz can black beans (rinse and drain)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (mexican style)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup mole paste (mexican food section at grocery store)
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground corriander
2 tsp chili powder
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pepper, chopped (I used a yellow, but calls for green if you prefer)

Mix all together in crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours!

I also added some left-over pork tenderloin, shredded, into the mix to add a meat :) MAN it smells so good!

Wish John was here to enjoy it with me, but he is in Radford renovating his grandma's old house to prep it for sale. He wasn't going to go until today, but instead left yesterday due to the impending bad weather. It's so much more boring and drab around here when he's gone :( Hopefully they will have a few really productive days and I will have him back on Sunday, but in the mean time, mom and dad are coming over for dinner to keep me and the critters company :)

Next, I made chicken salad!
This is one of my all time favorite things to make any time of the year. It makes a nice portion and I eat off of it all week for lunch as either a sandwich, with crackers, or by it's self! I also change it up every time to keep it interesting :)

Chicken Salad

1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat hand shredded
1/2 cup lite sour cream
1/2 cup lite mayo
2-3 tbsp tarragon
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 granny smith apple, chopped
1 cup grapes, chopped in half
1/2 cup sliced almonds
salt & pepper to taste

Mix together and enjoy!

Have I mentioned that I LOVE easy recipes?! The simpler, the better in my opinion :)

THEN, I made some snickerdoodles from my favorite website Oh She Glows. I can't wait for them to cool so I can inhale at least 2 before mom and dad get here! Hopefully I'll get to save some for John too....
Time to clean up my mess so I can enjoy my parents company :)
Keep warm everyone!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment